CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Binkey Fairy...COME ON IN!!

It's official...my little boy is now a BIG boy and went to sleep tonight without his binkey!! First and only time in 4 1/2 years! He wrote his letter to the binkey fairy letting her know that he was ready to give her his binkey, for her to give it to Uncle Scott and Aunt Adi's new baby. I made the suggestion for him to give it up last night (probably suggestion #1,258,987) and it actually seemed to excite him. Granted it was 2am after he woke me up to help him find it under his bed. In a groggy voice I told him it was time to give it to the binkey fairy and he said "OK!!" I didn't mean at that moment but sure enough he brought it up again this morning! Tonight he put his binkey in the envelope with his letter and left it by the door for her to come and get it. All on his own. When I asked him what he hoped she would leave him as a gift, he said money. I asked him why and he said that way he could put it in his bank or go to the store. He seemed happy with that and went to sleep without making a sound!! I'm so proud of my big boy!! For the last year and a half I've been talking to him about giving it up. Every time he skirts the issue, changes the subject or adamantly refuses. I never pushed it because the pediatrician, dentist (and I) knew it was important for him to have this transitional object until we moved and got settled. It was always his one true security object. Sarah gave hers away shortly after Keith left but that was her decision. So, as most things that I worry about...he did it all on his own and without an issue of any kind. Proved me wrong...again! :) He truly was ready. My baby is now a big boy!!

2 comments:

kpett said...

Way to go Karie! I've still got a thumb-sucker - don't think I can send a thumb away. :-)

Stellaandthomas said...

Congrats. I have four year old twins too and they just gave theirs up last Friday.

Woo Hoo!